Cook County Jail Chess Team Places Second in International Chess Tournament
Posted on May 11th, 2021
COOK COUNTY, IL – Seven individuals in custody at the Cook County Jail competed this morning in an online international chess tournament against individuals in custody in Armenia, Spain and Russia, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
The tournament began 8:30 a.m. with opening remarks from Sheriff Dart, FIDE President, Arkady Dvorkovich, and 12th World Chess Champion Anatoly Karpov. After a six-match, round robin competition, Russia was declared the victor with a total of three match wins. Cook County, representing the United States, came in second place with two match wins.
“Chess is more than an entertaining past time, the game teaches its players valuable life lessons,” said Sheriff Dart. “It requires these men to practice critical thinking and the consider the risks and rewards of their decisions, which are valuable skills they can take with them when they return to their communities.”
The Cook County Jail’s chess program started in 2012 and has hosted numerous chess dignitaries over the years, including Karpov. There are currently 14 participants in this program, which meets for an hour each week to practice. Today’s participants were chosen based on skill, and four of the players previously competed in the 2019 international chess tournament held at the jail.
“The game of chess transcends language and cultural barriers, and even the physical barriers within which these men are playing,” said Sheriff Dart. “These participants may not all speak the same language, but they were able to connect, compete, and enjoy their time together. After the difficult year we have all had, that is incredibly important.”
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart’s Child Rescue Unit Locates 1000th Youth in CareCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Police Child Rescue Unit (CRU) located its 1,000th [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Multiple Felonies for Explicit Texts, Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – A Chicago man who engaged in sexually explicit conversations and sent graphic [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Spotlights Public-Facing Community Resource CenterCOOK COUNTY, IL – With significant challenges facing Chicago area residents who struggle with [Read More]
- Chicago Woman Charged with First Degree Murder Following a March Shooting in Unincorporated Proviso TownshipCOOK COUNTY, IL –A Chicago woman who allegedly shot and killed a 28-year-old man in an incident [Read More]
- Des Plaines Man Charged with Attempt Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse of a Minor and Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 69-year-old Des Plaines man has been charged with multiple felonies after he [Read More]