Frequently Asked Questions
I would like to visit an inmate, how can I find out the inmate’s housing location?
Use our automated system 773-674-5245 or click here.
Are money orders accepted for bonding purposes?
No, we do not accept money orders for bonding purposes; only cash, certified checks and credit cards (in person at the Division 5 lobby) are accepted.
Certified checks must be used during normal banking hours.
If you’re posting a bond by credit card, you must go in-person to Division 5 located at 2700 S. California Ave. Chicago, IL 60608.
For more information on posting bond, click here.
What is the address to send mail to an inmate?
The mailing address for sending letters to detainees is:
P.O. Box 089002
Chicago, Illinois 60608
Be sure to include with the address the detainees name and I.D. number (also known as booking number).
(I.D. numbers can be retrieved from our automated system 773-674-5245 or click here).
What items CANNOT be mailed to an inmate?
Click here to view the list of items that cannot be mailed to an inmate
Some of these items will be made available to the inmate through commissary.
You personally deposit inmate funds 24 hours a day at the automated kiosk found in the lobby of Division 5 at 2700 S. California Ave. Chicago, IL 60608.
For other inquiries related to the jail, you can call the customer service line at 773-674-1945 from 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. 7 days a week.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic WeaponsA 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package [Read More]
- Bolingbrook Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Child Pornography, Sex TraffickingA 46-year-old Bolingbrook man investigated by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police’s Child Exploitation [Read More]