Frequently Asked Questions
I would like to visit an inmate, how can I find out the inmate’s housing location?
Use our automated system 773-674-5245 or click here.
Are money orders accepted for bonding purposes?
No, we do not accept money orders for bonding purposes; only cash, certified checks and credit cards (in person at the Division 5 lobby) are accepted.
Certified checks must be used during normal banking hours.
If you’re posting a bond by credit card, you must go in-person to Division 5 located at 2700 S. California Ave. Chicago, IL 60608.
For more information on posting bond, click here.
What is the address to send mail to an inmate?
The mailing address for sending letters to detainees is:
P.O. Box 089002
Chicago, Illinois 60608
Be sure to include with the address the detainees name and I.D. number (also known as booking number).
(I.D. numbers can be retrieved from our automated system 773-674-5245 or click here).
What items CANNOT be mailed to an inmate?
Click here to view the list of items that cannot be mailed to an inmate
Some of these items will be made available to the inmate through commissary.
You personally deposit inmate funds 24 hours a day at the automated kiosk found in the lobby of Division 5 at 2700 S. California Ave. Chicago, IL 60608.
For other inquiries related to the jail, you can call the customer service line at 773-674-1945 from 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. 7 days a week.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff’s Police, U.S. Department of Homeland Security investigation leads to Promoting Prostitution Charges against Gurnee ManAn investigation by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit and the U.S. Department of Homeland [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff Asks for Public’s Help in Adoption of Two Very Good DogsTwo dogs that recently completed the Sheriff’s Tails of Redemption program at the Cook County Jail, [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Seeks the Public’s Help Locating Missing Madden Mental Health Center PatientCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is asking for the public’s help locating a Madden Mental Health [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Seeking to Identify Individuals at the Scene of Robbins ShootingCook County Sheriff’s Police are seeking to identify individuals in these photographs as they may [Read More]
- Western Springs Man Charged with Disseminating Child PornographyA 72-year-old man has been charged after an investigation found that he sent explicit images of [Read More]