Chicago Woman Charged with First Degree Murder Following a March Shooting in Unincorporated Proviso Township
Posted on April 24th, 2021
COOK COUNTY, IL –A Chicago woman who allegedly shot and killed a 28-year-old man in an incident outside an Elmhurst bar last month is slated to have a bond court hearing today on charges of first-degree murder, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Shortly after 2:00 a.m., on Friday, March 26, Cook County Sheriff’s Police were called to Galway Bar and Grill in Unincorporated Proviso Township after being notified a person was shot in the parking lot. The victim, Dominique Bynum, 28, of the 100 block of North 15th St in Melrose Park, was shot in the chest area and transported to Elmhurst Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
During the investigation, detectives learned that two groups began fighting in the bar and were separated. The fight continued in the rear parking lot where a female suspect was seen on surveillance video pulling a firearm out of her waistband. The suspects then fled in a vehicle driving westbound on Roosevelt Road.
On Wednesday, April 21, the offender, identified as Robin Thornton, 34, was arrested in her home in the 8000 block of South Calumet Ave in Chicago. Officers executed a search warrant at her residence and found a firearm matching the caliber of the shell casing at the scene.
After she was issued a Miranda warning, Thornton made statements regarding her involvement in the shooting that resulted in the death of Bynum.
On April 23, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office approved charges of first-degree murder.
Thornton will attend a bond hearing today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Courthouse.
The public is reminded that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Des Plaines Man Charged with Attempt Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse of a Minor and Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 69-year-old Des Plaines man has been charged with multiple felonies after he [Read More]
- Crestwood Man Charged with Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – An 18-year-old Crestwood man has been charged with possession of child [Read More]
- 21 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersCOOK COUNTY, IL – Officers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issued [Read More]
- Oak Lawn Man Charged in Death of Hometown Police LieutenantCOOK COUNTY, IL – An Oak Lawn man who allegedly struck and killed a Hometown Police Lieutenant [Read More]
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is again urging the public to continue to [Read More]