Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Criminal Sexual Abuse
Posted on October 20th, 2020
A 51-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover Cook County Sheriff’s Police officer who was posing as a
teenage boy on a dating app, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Matthew Baldwin, of the 4600 block of North Dover Street in Chicago, was arrested on Thursday, Oct. 14, by Sheriff’s Police after he arranged to meet a person he thought was a 15-year-old boy for sex, according to the investigation.
On Sept. 10, Baldwin initiated a conversation with an investigator from the Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit who was posing as a 15-year-old male on a dating app. The conversation moved from the app to another chat app, where the conversation periodically for the next several weeks. During this time, Baldwin sent explicit messages describing sexual activity he wished to engage in with the person he believed was a minor boy, suggested that the two meet, and agreed not to tell the boy’s mother.
On Oct. 14, the undercover investigator arranged to meet Baldwin near Baldwin’s residence. Investigators took Baldwin into custody when he arrived at the predetermined location. After he was issued his Miranda warning, Baldwin told investigators that he believed the person he was chatting with was a 15-year-old male, that he knew he shouldn’t be talking with a minor, and that he intended to engage in sexual acts with the minor once they met.
Baldwin was charged with one count of attempt aggravated criminal sexual abuse, two counts of indecent solicitation of a minor, one count of traveling to meet a minor, and one count of grooming of a minor.
He appeared for a bond hearing on Friday, Oct. 16 for a bond hearing at the George N. Leighton Criminal Courthouse where he was issued a $150,000 D bond with electronic monitoring. Baldwin posted 10% bail and is in the process of being place on electronic monitoring.
The public is reminded that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart’s Child Rescue Unit Locates 1000th Youth in CareCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Police Child Rescue Unit (CRU) located its 1,000th [Read More]
- Cook County Jail Chess Team Places Second in International Chess TournamentCOOK COUNTY, IL – Seven individuals in custody at the Cook County Jail competed this morning in an [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Multiple Felonies for Explicit Texts, Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – A Chicago man who engaged in sexually explicit conversations and sent graphic [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Spotlights Public-Facing Community Resource CenterCOOK COUNTY, IL – With significant challenges facing Chicago area residents who struggle with [Read More]
- Chicago Woman Charged with First Degree Murder Following a March Shooting in Unincorporated Proviso TownshipCOOK COUNTY, IL –A Chicago woman who allegedly shot and killed a 28-year-old man in an incident [Read More]