Checkmates for Kids
What is Checkmates for Kids?
The “Checkmates for Kids” program allows incarcerated men to play chess with their children virtually. Participants can see and talk to their children while they play an online chess match. The goal of the program is not only to introduce children to the game of chess, but also allow them to strengthen their connection with their incarcerated parent while reducing the emotional trauma that is normally associated with such a relationship.
The children and guardians gather at a local high school monthly to participate in the program, which provides a sense of camaraderie and exposure to a new learning environment. Together in one room, the children are equipped with a laptop and snacks as they talk to their father via Skype and play chess against each other online. In doing so, it provides a comfortable environment to engage with each other and discuss how school is going, the latest sports news and more.
For More Information or to Participate: 773-674-7188
Next Program: Wednesday, November 28th
“Checkmates for Kids”/ Virtual Family Chess Program Dates
- May 2, 2018
- May 23, 2018
- July 18, 2018
- August 29, 2018
- September 26, 2018
- October 31, 2018
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic WeaponsA 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package [Read More]
- Bolingbrook Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Child Pornography, Sex TraffickingA 46-year-old Bolingbrook man investigated by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police’s Child Exploitation [Read More]