Checkmates for Kids
What is Checkmates for Kids?
The “Checkmates for Kids” program allows incarcerated men to play chess with their children virtually. Participants can see and talk to their children while they play an online chess match. The goal of the program is not only to introduce children to the game of chess, but also allow them to strengthen their connection with their incarcerated parent while reducing the emotional trauma that is normally associated with such a relationship.
The children and guardians gather at a local high school monthly to participate in the program, which provides a sense of camaraderie and exposure to a new learning environment. Together in one room, the children are equipped with a laptop and snacks as they talk to their father via Skype and play chess against each other online. In doing so, it provides a comfortable environment to engage with each other and discuss how school is going, the latest sports news and more.
For More Information or to Participate: 773-674-7188
Next Program: Wednesday, November 28th
“Checkmates for Kids”/ Virtual Family Chess Program Dates
- May 2, 2018
- May 23, 2018
- July 18, 2018
- August 29, 2018
- September 26, 2018
- October 31, 2018
Recent Press Releases
- Western Springs Man Charged with Disseminating Child PornographyA 72-year-old man has been charged after an investigation found that he sent explicit images of [Read More]
- Information Sought in Fatal Hit and RunCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is asking for the public’s help in identifying the driver of a [Read More]
- Information Sought on Hit and Run DriverCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is asking for the public’s help to identify the driver of a [Read More]
- Spectator Sign-Up Process for People vs. Van Dyke Post-Trial HearingMembers of the public interested in attending the People vs. Van Dyke post-trial hearing scheduled [Read More]
- CVS Health, Sheriff Tom Dart Announce Joint Effort to Raise Consumer Awareness about Safe Medication Disposal in Cook CountyCVS Health (NYSE: CVS) and Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart today announced a joint effort to [Read More]