Checkmates for Kids
What is Checkmates for Kids?
The “Checkmates for Kids” program allows incarcerated men to play chess with their children virtually. Participants can see and talk to their children while they play an online chess match. The goal of the program is not only to introduce children to the game of chess, but also allow them to strengthen their connection with their incarcerated parent while reducing the emotional trauma that is normally associated with such a relationship.
The children and guardians gather at a local high school monthly to participate in the program, which provides a sense of camaraderie and exposure to a new learning environment. Together in one room, the children are equipped with a laptop and snacks as they talk to their father via Skype and play chess against each other online. In doing so, it provides a comfortable environment to engage with each other and discuss how school is going, the latest sports news and more.
For More Information or to Participate: 773-674-7188
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff’s Office Announces Electronic Monitoring Program Transition from Radio Frequency to GPS BraceletsTo address the continued increase of criminal defendants court-ordered to the Sheriff’s Electronic [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police and Deputies Assist Chicago Police Department with LootingThe Cook County Sheriff’s Office deployed approximately 120 additional officers to the South and [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Calls for Legislation to Require FOID Card Verification to Prevent Illegal Ammunition PurchasesCOOK COUNTY, IL – With Chicago reeling from a sharp increase in shootings and gun-related homicides [Read More]
- CDC Study Finds Aggressive, Timely Interventions Dramatically Reduced COVID-19 Case at Cook County JailAggressive, comprehensive measures implemented at Cook County Jail caused a dramatic decline in the [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Opens Testing at The New Roseland Hospital for General PublicThree weeks ago in-person visitation resumed at the Cook County Jail for the first time in nearly [Read More]