Checkmates for Kids
What is Checkmates for Kids?
The “Checkmates for Kids” program allows incarcerated men to play chess with their children virtually. Participants can see and talk to their children while they play an online chess match. The goal of the program is not only to introduce children to the game of chess, but also allow them to strengthen their connection with their incarcerated parent while reducing the emotional trauma that is normally associated with such a relationship.
The children and guardians gather at a local high school monthly to participate in the program, which provides a sense of camaraderie and exposure to a new learning environment. Together in one room, the children are equipped with a laptop and snacks as they talk to their father via Skype and play chess against each other online. In doing so, it provides a comfortable environment to engage with each other and discuss how school is going, the latest sports news and more.
For More Information or to Participate: 773-674-7188
Next Program: Wednesday, November 28th
“Checkmates for Kids”/ Virtual Family Chess Program Dates
- May 2, 2018
- May 23, 2018
- July 18, 2018
- August 29, 2018
- September 26, 2018
- October 31, 2018
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam Involving Apple Inc.Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a sophisticated phone scam targeting Cook County [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Proposes Reforms to Close Deadly Gun Regulation LoopholesTo ensure the public is better protected from those who lose their right to carry deadly weapons, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Firearms, Ammunition Found in ApartmentA Leyden Township man has been charged with multiple felonies after firearms, ammunition and [Read More]
- Pair Charged with UUW after Firearms, Ammunition FoundTwo men have been charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon after firearms and ammunition [Read More]
- Awareness Resource Created for Front Lines of Opioid CrisisCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart released new episodes today of the podcast “Breaking Free” [Read More]