Case Study R. M.
Home > Case Study R. M.
Charge: Retail Theft
Days in Jail: 308 days
Cost to taxpayers: $44,044
- 30 arrests – 30 bookings in Cook County Jail – 7 admissions to IDOC. Aside from a Burglary conviction from 1999, all of R.M.’s IDOC admissions have been for Retail Theft.
- 51-year-old R.M.’s most recent arrest occurred on September 27, 2014. Police officers on patrol observed a CVS loss prevention agent pursuing someone through the store parking lot. When they arrived, the agent had detained R.M. after observing him place several packs of toothpaste and breath mints in his bag and exit the store. He was arrested and brought to Cook County Jail.
- The judge ordered him to be placed on Electronic Home Monitoring on his first court date, but he had no residence within Cook County where he could be placed, so he remained in jail. He has been in custody on this case for 308 days, or 10 months. Cost to taxpayers for this incarceration so far is about $44,044
- A psychological exam to test R.M.’s fitness to stand trial was ordered at his last court date.
Recent Press Releases
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic WeaponsA 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package [Read More]
- Bolingbrook Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Child Pornography, Sex TraffickingA 46-year-old Bolingbrook man investigated by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police’s Child Exploitation [Read More]
- Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam Involving Apple Inc.Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a sophisticated phone scam targeting Cook County [Read More]