Arrests Made in Fatal Robbins Car Crash
Posted on August 30th, 2015
Two men have been charged in connection in car crash in Robbins that killed two people and injured three children, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Douglas McGrew, 25, of Robbins, and Craig Stevenson, 41, of Lynwood, have been charged with reckless homicide. McGrew also has been charged with two counts of aggravated DUI.
The Sheriff’s Police investigation, which was requested by Robbins Police Department, found that at approximately 7:45 p.m. McGrew, driving a black Buick Regal, and Stevenson, driving a gray Nissan Altima, raced their vehicles at a high rate of speed on northbound on Central Park Avenue. Both cars ran a stop sign at 137th Street and struck a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country minivan, according to the Sheriff’s Police investigation.
The driver of the minivan, Chires Davis, 43, of Robbins, and the front passenger, Less Jones, 59, were killed. Their three children, who were passengers in the minivan, were taken to an area hospital for treatment, where they remain. Their conditions have stabilized.
McGrew and his male passenger were taken to area hospitals for treatment. Stevenson and a male passenger in his vehicle were also taken to area hospitals for treatment. Another male passenger in Stevenson’s car declined medical treatment.
McGrew and Stevenson were charged Saturday night. Stevenson is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building.
McGrew’s bond hearing will be scheduled at a later date. He remains hospitalized.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]