Arrests Made in Fatal Robbins Car Crash
Posted on August 30th, 2015
Two men have been charged in connection in car crash in Robbins that killed two people and injured three children, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Douglas McGrew, 25, of Robbins, and Craig Stevenson, 41, of Lynwood, have been charged with reckless homicide. McGrew also has been charged with two counts of aggravated DUI.
The Sheriff’s Police investigation, which was requested by Robbins Police Department, found that at approximately 7:45 p.m. McGrew, driving a black Buick Regal, and Stevenson, driving a gray Nissan Altima, raced their vehicles at a high rate of speed on northbound on Central Park Avenue. Both cars ran a stop sign at 137th Street and struck a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country minivan, according to the Sheriff’s Police investigation.
The driver of the minivan, Chires Davis, 43, of Robbins, and the front passenger, Less Jones, 59, were killed. Their three children, who were passengers in the minivan, were taken to an area hospital for treatment, where they remain. Their conditions have stabilized.
McGrew and his male passenger were taken to area hospitals for treatment. Stevenson and a male passenger in his vehicle were also taken to area hospitals for treatment. Another male passenger in Stevenson’s car declined medical treatment.
McGrew and Stevenson were charged Saturday night. Stevenson is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building.
McGrew’s bond hearing will be scheduled at a later date. He remains hospitalized.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]