Arrests Made in Fatal Robbins Car Crash
Posted on August 30th, 2015
Two men have been charged in connection in car crash in Robbins that killed two people and injured three children, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Douglas McGrew, 25, of Robbins, and Craig Stevenson, 41, of Lynwood, have been charged with reckless homicide. McGrew also has been charged with two counts of aggravated DUI.
The Sheriff’s Police investigation, which was requested by Robbins Police Department, found that at approximately 7:45 p.m. McGrew, driving a black Buick Regal, and Stevenson, driving a gray Nissan Altima, raced their vehicles at a high rate of speed on northbound on Central Park Avenue. Both cars ran a stop sign at 137th Street and struck a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country minivan, according to the Sheriff’s Police investigation.
The driver of the minivan, Chires Davis, 43, of Robbins, and the front passenger, Less Jones, 59, were killed. Their three children, who were passengers in the minivan, were taken to an area hospital for treatment, where they remain. Their conditions have stabilized.
McGrew and his male passenger were taken to area hospitals for treatment. Stevenson and a male passenger in his vehicle were also taken to area hospitals for treatment. Another male passenger in Stevenson’s car declined medical treatment.
McGrew and Stevenson were charged Saturday night. Stevenson is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building.
McGrew’s bond hearing will be scheduled at a later date. He remains hospitalized.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Pair Charged with Attempt Murder in Unincorporated Oak Forest ShootingHa Zell Williams Dashaun Colbert Two 18-year-old men have been charged with attempt murder in [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Criminal Sexual Assault ChargesShannon Griffin A teacher at a Burbank private school has been charged with Criminal Sexual [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Conducting Traffic Safety Checkpoint in Leyden TownshipCook County Sheriff’s Police will conduct a roadside safety checkpoint in Leyden Township on the [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with UUW after Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic Weapons Delivered to ResidenceJaveon Burton Allen A 22-year-old Chicago man has been charged after a package containing switches [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]