Eight Detainees Charged With Aggravated Arson
Posted on May 5th, 2017
COOK COUNTY, IL – Eight maximum security inmates have been charged with aggravated arson in connection with burning their uniforms, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On the evening of April 15 multiple detainees destroyed their uniforms that are designed for those who have engaged in sexual misconduct. The inmates lit a wick in a microwave to set these uniforms on fire, resulting in smoke filling the housing unit. The smoke became so thick that the housing unit had to be evacuated to an outdoor patio.
Two correctional deputies were taken to area hospitals for an evaluation related to smoke exposure. Two others were transported for injuries related to securing the housing unit.
Each of these detainees has been charged with one count of aggravated arson in connection with this incident:
- Ramon Pendleton, 20, held on attempt murder charge since January 2016
- Andrew Boone, 25, held on a murder charge since December 2015
- Eric Brown, 24, held on a murder charge since March 2013
- Jalen Hibbler, 18, held on a murder charge since November 2016
- Kiarunn Bailey, 19, held on a murder charge since August 2014
- Marques Ross, 21, held on an attempt murder charge since July 2014
- Sam Robinson, 22, held on aggravated robbery charge since January 2016
- Davead McIntyre, 24, held on an armed habitual criminal charge since February 2016
Pendleton was also charged with aggravated battery to a peace officer. Pendleton, Boone, Brown and Hibbler are scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Courthouse.
Bailey, Ross, Robinson and McIntyre are scheduled to appear for a bond hearing on May 6 at the George N. Leighton Criminal Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]
- Public’s Help Sought in Identifying Suspicious PersonCook County Sheriff’s Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man involved in a [Read More]