Stopping Gun Violence
Posted on July 17th, 2017
Gun violence kills or wounds thousands of people across Cook County every year, sending ripples of trauma and devastation through families and communities. The Sheriff’s Office works every day on the streets and in the jail to end this violence and help victims. The efforts are multi-layered. Officers work to get guns off the streets as they target and dismantle gangs and drug trafficking operations. Social workers help youth who want to find a way out of the violence. The office helps ensure gun regulations are enforced while advocating for court reforms that will help keep dangerous offenders off the streets.
Here is a closer look at some of these operations and programs:
- Chicago-focused Operations – Cook County Sheriff’s Police are focusing both law enforcement and social service resources in communities plagued by violence.
- Intelligence – The Office’s intelligence unit works with other law enforcement partners to collect and disseminate information that can help identify violent offenders and build criminal cases.
- Street Crime Suppression Unit – This specially-trained unit works across the county to identify and arrest gang members to disrupt their violent activity.
- Sheriff’s Anti-Violence Effort (SAVE) – Most individuals in jail will eventually be released to the community, so this program works with 18 to 24-year-olds who want to stop violence by helping them prepare for jobs and education.
- The Gun Team – Sheriff’s police on this dedicated team keep weapons out of the wrong hands by performing gun license compliance checks, investigating gunrunning and recovering revoked gun licenses.
- Concealed Carry Enforcement – The Office screens and objects to individuals with criminal records who attempt to get a state license to legally carry loaded guns.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]