Service Of Process – summons subpoenas and other court orders F.A.Q.s
Who can I talk to about my process?
The Sheriff cannot give legal advice, but we can inform you as to our procedures and policies concerning the service and execution of civil process.
How much does the Sheriff charge for service?
The fee is $60.00 per service. Counter Services are $50.00 per service. Payment can be made with a Check or Money Order payable to the “Cook County Sheriff” or by Credit Card. Cash is NOT accepted.
How long will it take the Sheriff to serve my process?
It is difficult to anticipate when the Sheriff will serve your process. Most types of process must be served within certain legal time limits. You should give the Sheriff your process as soon as possible to ensure a more expeditious attempt.
How do I cancel my process?
Attorneys must submit their request to cancel service on their office letterhead. An individual must cancel their service in person and must bring a written letter canceling their process and present valid identification.
How can I obtain a refund?
Any requests for refunds must be made in writing and sent to our Daley Center office. You must include a copy of your Driver’s License/State Identification and a copy of your receipt from the Sheriff (not the Clerk of the Circuit Court’s receipt).
Other Important Information
Document Requirements for Service of Process
Original Citation + 2 copies of the Citation+ 2 Notices
Original Summons + 2 copies of the Summons + 4 copies of Affidavits, Interrogatories, Judgment or Certification + 2 Notices
* – Third Party Citations/Garnishments also require an additional copy of each document and a stamped envelope addresses to the defendant
Original Summons + 2 copies of the Summons + 2 copies of the Complaint
Original Summons + 4 copies of the Summons + 1 Affidavit
Original Summons + 2 copies of the Summons + 1 Complaint
Original Subpoena + 2 copies of the Subpoena
Original Rule + 2 copies of the Rule
Certified Copy of the Order + 2 copies of the Order
Secretary of State
Original Summons + 2 copies of the Summons + 2 Complaints + 2 Affidavits of Compliance + $5.00 or $10.00 check payable to the Secretary of State
Director of Insurance
Original Summons + 2 copies of the Summons + 2 Complaints + $20.00 check payable to the Director of Insurance
These forms can be located on the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County’s website www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org under “Court Forms”.
All summonses, subpoenas and court orders that require the appearance of the defendant must include the date, time and place of court.
Please include as much information as possible for service (i.e. use entrance at rear of building, respondent works from 2 pm to 10 to Thurs thru Mon)
Recent Press Releases
- Pair Charged with Attempt Murder in Unincorporated Oak Forest ShootingHa Zell Williams Dashaun Colbert Two 18-year-old men have been charged with attempt murder in [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Criminal Sexual Assault ChargesShannon Griffin A teacher at a Burbank private school has been charged with Criminal Sexual [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Conducting Traffic Safety Checkpoint in Leyden TownshipCook County Sheriff’s Police will conduct a roadside safety checkpoint in Leyden Township on the [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with UUW after Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic Weapons Delivered to ResidenceJaveon Burton Allen A 22-year-old Chicago man has been charged after a package containing switches [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]