How Do I?
Report Suspected Domestic Violence:
If the violence is occurring right now, call 911. If you suspect ongoing violence, call your local police department.
Report Suspected Child Abuse:
You can either call police, 911, or Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) at the child abuse helpline 800-25-ABUSE (800-252-2873) www.state.il.us/dcfs/index.shtml
Report Suspected Animal Cruelty:
If it is an emergency, call 911. Otherwise, you can call the Cook County Special Operations Unit at 708-865-4720 during business hours or the 24-hour patrol desk at 708-865-4790.
What do I do if I find a gun?
Do not touch the gun. Call 911. Notify the operator of your location and the gun’s location. Then describe what the gun looks like to the operator.
Get my towed vehicle back:
Go to the Sheriff’s Police Patrol Desk at 1401 Maybrook Dr., Maywood, IL with the following:
- Valid Driver’s License (or bring a licensed driver with you)
- Valid Insurance Card
- Proof of Ownership (title, original purchase papers, rental agreement)
- $500 cash or credit card (surcharge/convenience fee added)
You will get a paid stamp on your receipt from the patrol desk. Go to the towing company with the documents listed above and your receipt to get your vehicle back. There will be towing fees. For more information, call the towing company.
Get recovered property back:
If property is “Hold for Owner,” the owner can come with valid identification to pick it up. Call 708-865-4841 to make an appointment.
If property is “Hold for Investigation,” the property has to be released by the investigating officer before the owner can pick it up. The owner can call 708-865-4841 to inquire.
If the property is a gun, the owner needs to have court order papers, or a completed gun packet (notarized) to have property released. The owner can call 708-865-4841 for more information.
Still not finding what you’re looking for? Submit your question using the form below:
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic WeaponsA 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package [Read More]
- Bolingbrook Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Child Pornography, Sex TraffickingA 46-year-old Bolingbrook man investigated by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police’s Child Exploitation [Read More]