Case Study R. M.
Home > Case Study R. M.
Charge: Retail Theft
Days in Jail: 308 days
Cost to taxpayers: $44,044
- 30 arrests – 30 bookings in Cook County Jail – 7 admissions to IDOC. Aside from a Burglary conviction from 1999, all of R.M.’s IDOC admissions have been for Retail Theft.
- 51-year-old R.M.’s most recent arrest occurred on September 27, 2014. Police officers on patrol observed a CVS loss prevention agent pursuing someone through the store parking lot. When they arrived, the agent had detained R.M. after observing him place several packs of toothpaste and breath mints in his bag and exit the store. He was arrested and brought to Cook County Jail.
- The judge ordered him to be placed on Electronic Home Monitoring on his first court date, but he had no residence within Cook County where he could be placed, so he remained in jail. He has been in custody on this case for 308 days, or 10 months. Cost to taxpayers for this incarceration so far is about $44,044
- A psychological exam to test R.M.’s fitness to stand trial was ordered at his last court date.
Recent Press Releases
- Pair Charged with Attempt Murder in Unincorporated Oak Forest ShootingHa Zell Williams Dashaun Colbert Two 18-year-old men have been charged with attempt murder in [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Criminal Sexual Assault ChargesShannon Griffin A teacher at a Burbank private school has been charged with Criminal Sexual [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Conducting Traffic Safety Checkpoint in Leyden TownshipCook County Sheriff’s Police will conduct a roadside safety checkpoint in Leyden Township on the [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with UUW after Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic Weapons Delivered to ResidenceJaveon Burton Allen A 22-year-old Chicago man has been charged after a package containing switches [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]