Case Study J. J.
Home > Case Study J. J.
Charge: Retail Theft
Days in Jail: 179 days
Cost to taxpayers: $35,597
- 53 arrests – 24 bookings into Cook County Jail – 6 admissions to IDOC since 2008. All of his IDOC admissions are for theft/retail theft.
- All of J.J.’s arrests are for low level, non-violent crimes. The vast majority of them are theft/retail theft with a few criminal trespass charges, minor drug possession charges, and a couple drinking on the public way charges.
- His most recent arrest occurred on December 27, 2014. J.J. entered CVS and was observed by the loss prevention officer placing 6 tubes of toothpaste under his clothes and attempting to leave the store. The officer stopped and held him until police arrived. The total cost of the items was $22.14.
- The judge in this case originally ordered J.J. to be placed on electronic home monitoring, but he did not have a suitable residence to be placed at and did not have $2,000 bail to post, so he remained in CCDOC custody for the entirety of his case – 179 days or 6 months. The total cost to taxpayers for this incarceration is $25,597.
- On June 23, 2015, he was found guilty and sentenced to 1 year in state prison. Because he spent so much time in jail pre-trial that was credited towards his sentence, he had already completed his sentence by the time his case was resolved and did not spend any time in prison. Instead, he was shipped to a state facility, booked into their system, and released onto parole the same day.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic WeaponsA 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package [Read More]
- Bolingbrook Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Child Pornography, Sex TraffickingA 46-year-old Bolingbrook man investigated by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police’s Child Exploitation [Read More]